Windsurfing is a fantastic sport for young people to learn. With modern equipment, it is super easy to pick up and kids progress really quickly. The benefits of spending time on the water and in the marine environment are huge – not only are they outside, active, and learning a new skill, they are also gaining an invaluable understanding of water safety.
Summer School Holiday Courses
We will also be offering week long courses in conjunction with Nelson Yacht Club’s School Holiday Junior Watersports Programme. Kids will have the opportunity to do a youth windsurfing week, a mixed watersports week or a youth sailing week. The cost is $340 for non-members and $290 for NYC club members.
The days run from 9am to 4pm with a break for lunch, Monday to Friday. All specialist equipment is provided, and your kids will leave tired and happy at the end of the day.
Places are limited, so will be confirmed only after a completed booking form and full payment have been received.
Booking forms can be completed here: Booking Form
- 17th – 21st December 2018 – Summer 1
- Beginners – Full Week – 2 spaces
- Beginners – 3-Days (17th – 19th) – 2 spaces
- Advanced – Full Week – 4 spaces
- 3rd & 4th January 2019 – Summer 2
- Beginners (2 Days) – 3 spaces
- 7th – 11th January 2019 – Summer 3 – Full Week
- Beginners – 5 spaces (younger week)
- Improvers – 4 spaces
- 14th – 18th January 2019 – Summer 4 – Full Week
- Beginners – 5 spaces (older week)
- Advanced – 5 spaces
- 21st – 25th January 2019 – Summer 5 – Full Week
- Beginners – 5 spaces
- Intermediate – 6 spaces
Spaces correct at time of writing (10th December 2018). Please get in touch for up-to-date availability 🙂
Youth Windsurfing Group
We run term time blocks of our successful Junior Windsurf Club from 4-6pm each week on Mondays (Improvers/Intermediates) and Tuesdays (Intermediates/Advanced). Junior windsurfing at Nelson Watersports is our highest priority and we try to keep the cost as low as possible:
- On my gear: $30 per session or $180 for the 8 week term.
- On your own gear: $20 per session or $120 for the 8 week term.
- Half and half: $25 per session or $150 for the 8 week term
- Minimum of Level 1 ability
- Must be booked in advance to ensure equipment is available
- Booking forms can be completed here: Booking Form
Nelson Watersports is keen to build a fleet of Techno 293 sailors at Nelson Yacht Club. This is a fun and exciting class to race in with events held all over the country and abroad. Not only is it a board that you can learn the basics on, it is also the ISAF Youth Windsurfing Class.
If you are keen on learning to windsurf, why not encourage your school to get involved? School and group sessions can be arranged during school hours, or after school. We can also use the Stand Up Paddleboards to enable us to cater for more people.