We are looking for talented and experienced sailing coaches to join our team in Nelson for the 2018-19 summer season. You will be providing coaching to Nelson Yacht Club and/or Nelson Bays Youth Teams Racing Association. In particular, we are looking for inspiring coaches who can bring a wealth of competitive racing and coaching experience to help further develop the growing number of youth sailors in Nelson. There are a number of different roles that we need to fill, and we can structure a position depending on your experience.
If you are an experienced UK coach either planning or considering a trip to New Zealand and would like to find stimulating and enjoyable work in the watersports industry, then get in touch!
NBYTRA (Teams Racing) Coaching:
- With proven Teams Racing experience and Teams Racing coaching experience, you will independently and proactively plan, prepare and deliver a comprehensive programme of coaching for up to 6 College Teams Racing squads; training and racing weekly in 420s. Travel to Regional and National Regattas.
- You will coordinate and undertake maintenance of the association’s fleet of 13 420s.
NYC Optimist Open Fleet Coaching:
- We have an exciting group of dedicated young sailors coming through, with Noah Malpot consolidating a National ranking of 22nd last season and qualifying for the NZ travelling team for the Asian Championships. A number of others were in Silver Fleet at Nationals, with more young sailors coming through.
- With experience of Optimist sailing at National/International level, and experience coaching Optimist sailors to National regatta level, you will inspire, mentor and coach Nelson Yacht Club’s developing fleet of Optimist sailors. We run weekly training sessions, Saturday racing and weekend & holiday camps.
NYC Starling/Laser/O’Pen Bic coaching:
- We have active junior fleets of O’Pen Bic, Starling and Lasers coming through who we would like to provide weekly training sessions for.
- The Starling fleet may be the largest fleet next season, with three sailors competing in Nationals this year and potential for >10 sailors next season.
NYC Learn to Sail coaching & general responsibilities:
- Help to develop the skills of all sailors at Nelson Yacht Club.
- Promote and deliver private coaching sessions.
- Plan and run School group sessions as part of a team.
- Assist in running one of the country’s busiest Learn to Sail programmes.
- Help mentor and develop less experienced coaches.
- Travel to Regional and National regattas as appropriate.
- Assist with maintenance of a fleet of boats, windsurf kit and SUP boards.
Nelson Watersports Windsurfing coaching/instructing:
- We have one sailor training with the national youth RSX squad. Max recently came 2nd at the Nationals again this year.
- A developing group of Bic Techno 293 One-Design sailors ranging from mastering the basics, to performing well at national events.
- Adult and junior learn to windsurf programmes.
- These are part-time seasonal positions from late September to late April.
- Depending on your experience and the makeup of the team, we can structure a position and the hours to include as many or as few of the roles mentioned.
- Normally it is 6 days per week, including weekends and evenings.
- There is no guaranteed minimum number of hours. However, as a guide, this year the coach averaged 20-30hrs per week during school terms and 40hrs per week during January.
- A competitive remuneration package is negotiable based on qualifications, experience, the roles taken on and performance.
- Work in a friendly and sociable team environment.
- Access windsurfing equipment & instruction and Stand Up Paddleboards free-of-charge.
- Nelson is a fantastic community of active people with a wide variety of activities on offer – windsurfing and kitesurfing, dinghy sailing & yacht racing, mountain biking, climbing, SUP, waterskiing and wakeboarding, tramping/hiking etc etc… It has a lively cafe culture and a climate that is the envy of the rest of the country.
Contact Tim Fraser-Harris on 02102503767 or email@example.com for more info or to apply.